Thursday 8 November 2012

Orientalism and Neoliberalism


About two weeks ago, a conversation was created about Something Meaningful on Twitter. Someone (not me) asked a reasonably notable artist located currently in London what she thought about my project. Her response was disappointment. She described its "methodology smacks of cozy neoliberal participation agenda and the realization of meaning in a bead is a bit lame/orientalist". She went on to talk about her views on what art should be, which to me I found more insightful. However, reading this I was made to think, am I being orientalist in my art? And if it does indeed "smack of neoliberal agenda" because of its participatory aspect, is that a negative thing?

I came to realize that though I know of orientalism and orientalist art, I don’t know enough to combat accusations such as these. Why would this artist believe this project to be orientalist? Is it because I learned the act of making beads from a developing country? Or is it because of my constant desire to try and help those who are, I believe undeservedly suffering? Regardless of her reasoning, any thought that comes to my mind regarding my project to be orientalist is not only ignorant, but also disturbing.

Although the history of the beads is obscure, the first few documentations of its existence were during the turn of the 20th century in both England and the United States. There the paper bead moved and went in and out of popularity in various countries and cultures all over the world, until finally in 2006, a young girl visited Eastern Africa, who had no previous knowledge of paper beads, came across them.

I first saw paper beads in Uganda, Rwanda, and The Democratic Republic of the Congo. I didn't realize how much of an impact they made on me then, but I met children who had been through more unimaginable experiences than I could ever imagine, who welcomed me with open arms and with a kindness that I had never before experienced.

So, with this in mind, just because I have been privileged, and am a causation American, does this mean that I am therefore not allowed to be influenced by people of different cultures for fear of being orientalist? Am I supposed to ignore the extreme pain the children that I met just because I fear what my peers will think? It is, I suppose, these post-colonialist fears that force people in nations like the U.S. or the U.K. to turn a blind eye to atrocities that happen everyday needlessly.

Again, I know that I don't have enough knowledge about the subject to combat those who might accuse me of being orientalist. Therefore I have purchased a book called "Orientalism: History, theory and the Arts" by John M. MacKenzie, just to get my feet wet. I don't know if this book is any good, but the author seems highly reputed, so we will see how it goes.



Finally, to the accusation of my project being neoliberal: which again, my knowledge is unfortunately limited. If neoliberalism incorporates participation, then I don’t find anything wrong with that particular aspect of it. However, I don't believe that just because my project involves participation, that doesn't automatically make it neoliberal. My ideas regarding what meaning is and how it might connect with how I originally heard of the beads may be unclear, (and I am still working on the concept) but in my opinion art tends to be more interesting if it is ambiguous and those who view or participate in the project may take from it what they will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment